In the early 1800s, Point Lonsdale and the surrounding region lay within the traditional lands of the Wadawurrung. Farmers occupied a vast area along the Bellarine Peninsula and Bellarine Hills from 1835 to 1842. Industry around Point Lonsdale included fishing and farming.
The Laker family ran sand and shell grit mining operations on the site from the mid-1950s up until 1987. Residential development began in the late 1980s with the construction of the Lonsdale Lakes Estate. With little improvement to the connection to Lakers Cutting, the building of the estate finished in the early 1990s. The site lay idle until a developer purchased the land in 2002.
Since Moremac Property Group acquired The Point in 2013, we have worked passionately to restore and improve the environmental performance of the site. In 2020, The Point received EnviroDevelopment certification, Victoria’s highest environmental accreditation in sustainability.